From Race Cars to Armoured Cars, Panhard returns to Ireland
Carole Nash RIAC Classic Car Show RDS 5th and 6th of March.
The Panhard CD, which has never before been shown in Ireland or the UK, will be on display at the event in early March.
It is one of the last remaining Panhard CD cars from just 159 that were built in 1964 by the renowned race car engineer Charles Deutsch. It will be on the ‘Iconic French Cars’ feature stand and is believed to be the best example of this vehicle in the world today.
Bob Montgomery, Show Director, said: “Every year we run the show we try to ensure that visitors will get to see something that has never been on display in the country before. One of these cars, the Panhard CD, has a distinguished racing lineage and is worth a visit to the show in its own right. This is a fantastic addition to the 2016 line up is a great opportunity to showcase the competitive side of Panhard, who won more than 1,800 races and rallies between 1895 to 1967.”
Panhard is one of the oldest car manufacturers in the world. It began production of vehicles in 1887 and after World War II the company became synonymous with the manufacturing of light and economical vehicles. The Panhard CD featured at the show is based on the model that won the Performance Index in 1962 at Le Mans that is still awarded to the most efficient car at the 24 hour race. Key to the competitiveness of the 1964 CD Panhard was the bespoke aerodynamic ‘slippery’ body, which had more sophisticated aerodynamics than any other car on the grid that year. In fact the design was so efficient that it achieved a drag coefficient of 0.12 that was never equalled again at the track.
Panhard remained in passenger car production until bought by Citroën in 1965 and the brand was discontinued two years later. However, the name lived on in military circles as the company became one of the most widely recognised producers of armoured vehicles.
Montgomery continued: “We have had a long association with the name Panhard in this country. Aside from the selection of rare cars from the manufacture that will be on display we also have one of the Military vehicles for which they are famous. The armoured car that we have on display was used by the Irish Army on overseas duties including the Congo. ”
Visitors to the show can expect to see an incredible array of classic and vintage cars that they may have only ever read about in a magazine but have never had the opportunity to see up close. Many vehicles that will be on view that have come from private collections that are not normally seen by the public.
Bob Montgomery said: “We will also have entertainment and events taking place over the weekend that will be fun for all the family to get involved with. The last show had the highest satisfaction rating among both visitors and exhibitors of any similar event in the RDS in recent times. We intend to achieve that again this year.”
For spectacular displays of truly amazing classic cars and entertainment for all the family, visit the Carole Nash RIAC Classic Car Show on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th of March 2016, 10am–6pm each day.
For further information and high resolution images please contact:
Richard Burke: +353 86 8167822 email@example.com
Bob Montgomery – Show Director +353 87 4184360 firstname.lastname@example.org
Show website: www.classiccarshow.ie
Notes for the editor:
Panhard was originally called Panhard et Levassor, and was established as a car manufacturing concern by René Panhard and Émile Levassor in 1887. As such it is one of the oldest manufacturers of motor vehicles in the world. After World War II the company was renamed Panhard (without “Levassor”), and produced fuel efficient light cars such as the Dyna X, Dyna Z and 24CT.
The styling of the Dyna Z was distinctively smooth and rounded, with an emphasis on aerodynamics and an overall minimalist design. The 24 CT was a later (from summer 1963-on) stylish 2+2 seater; the 24 BT being a version of the same with a longer wheelbase and space for four. A small number of Panhards were assembled in Ireland.
The last Panhard passenger car was built in 1967. After assembling 2CV panel trucks for Citroen in order to utilise capacity in face of falling sales, and raising operating cash by selling ownership progressively to Citroën (full control as of 1965), in fall of 1967 the civilian branch was absorbed by Citroën, and the marque was retired.
Since 1968 Panhard has only made armoured vehicles.
The Panhard feature stand – one of the highlights of the 2016 Show, will feature a 1902 Panhard et Levassor, a Panhard 24 CT and a an Irish Army M3 armoured car, as well as several examples of the Panhards assembled in Ireland.
A very rare 1964 Panhard CD – a type never before displayed in Ireland or Britain, is coming from France for the Show.